You are now the proud wearer of braces. So, “what’s next?” you might ask. Well, you can expect to spend the next couple of days (and weeks) getting to know your new orthodontic appliances a lot better.
It Might Feel a Little Uncomfortable
• Most brace wearers will describe it as being “weird” right after they get braces fitted. With less room in your mouth, it will feel different and it does put pressure on your teeth.
• It will vary from person to person but you can expect 2-3 days of general tooth soreness once your braces are fitted. This is perfectly normal.
• You might also experience some scrapes and irritations on your lips, gums and cheeks while the adjust to your new braces. This is where your orthodontic wax becomes important. Don’t be afraid to layer it over those brackets and wires that are causing the irritation. Keep your tongue out off the abrasions and avoid acidic foods or juices.
• Many of our patients use over-the-counter pain medication like acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) to help alleviate some of the pain from this adjustment period. It will get better. Once your mouth toughens up, you’ll forget all about it.
• It may feel like your braces are pushing your lips out. Your lips haven’t had the pleasure of your braces’ company so it will feel strange at first. And don’t worry, no one but you will notice it.
Re-evaluate Your Habits
• Soft foods (cheese, eggs, oatmeal, ice cream, lunch meats) are a good idea at first. Stay away from hard foods wherever possible.
• Chewing becomes a new experience, too. You might find that you bite the inside of your mouth more frequently. Take smaller bites, and chew slowly and carefully.
• Right after you get your braces, consider loading up on high protein foods to help fill you up a bit more. It means fewer meals and less chewing.
• Be ready to adjust your dental hygiene habits, particularly after eating. Food might get stuck in your braces, so brushing and flossing after every meal will have to become part of your routine. These new habits may seem like a challenge, but you’ll get used to them quicker than you think.
At Orthodontic Associates, we specialize in a range of cutting-edge treatments designed to keep the brace wearing experience as comfortable and unobtrusive as possible. Choose from one of our 8 convenient locations in Baltimore and make an appointment to see one of our highly experienced doctors today.