Dental insurance can be an important part of addressing the cost. However, dental Insurance is not the same as orthodontic insurance.
Indeed, in some instances there is no concession for orthodontic care at all in dental insurance. And when it does, the percentages of coverage greatly differ as does the lifetime maximum.
Plans and types of orthodontic insurance coverage may differ, but most insurance plans that cover orthodontic treatment only cover as much as 50% (with 25% being the norm) and the lifetime maximum ranging from $1500 to $2,500. Also, adults often aren’t covered and if they are, it is a usually at a lower coverage.
If your employer does not cover you, you can look at an individual dental insurance plan or a dental discount plan that may include orthodontic insurance. Both have their merits and Bankrate.com offers an insight into the differences between the two.
With the diversity of plans and numerous options, here are some things to keep in mind when looking at insurance or discount dental plans:
- Make sure the orthodontic services you require are covered
- Check age limitations.
- Research, research, research in selecting a plan. Research premiums, deductibles, co-pays and exclusions.
- If you have a preferred orthodontist, they can be a great place to get recommendations in your search for insurance.
- Find out what insurance your orthodontist does accept, and make sure they are part of the plan you choose.
- Pay attention to the fine print, as plans can be severely limited with regards to braces.
- Check that any discount adds up to more than the annual fee.
- Try to remain on the same insurance plan for the entire orthodontic treatment cycle.
Consider using flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts. They are a good place to store pre-tax dollars to pay for orthodontic treatments.
Additionally, many orthodontists offer in-house financing and payment plan options to help with the costs. At Orthodontic Associates, we have 3 payment plan options available for our patients. We also offer in-house financing and 0% interest.
Orthodontic Associates has 8 convenient locations around Baltimore offering access to our doctors and cutting-edge services. Contact us to set up a consultation and explore which of our top-of-the-line treatments and payment options best suit you. We look forward to seeing your next smile!